Re: Wait Stats

  • From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:38:19 +0200

ryan.gaffuri@xxxxxxx wrote:

> it could also be the amount of data you are transferring back to the client.
> you are forced to wait because you are transmitting too much data. run the
> query and find out.

Quite true. I have once seen a loop on a big cursor, with an 'IF
(rec.some_column = ...)' condition ... and no else. I guess the reason
why the developer didn't put the condition in the WHERE clause is one of
those questions which take 42 as answer.
Another all-too-common cause is the joyful use of 'one-row-at-a-time'
logic. Getting rid of cursors deeply nested in loops, using array
fetches (you can do the equivalent of the SQL*Plus 'set arraysize ...'
command in several languages, C/C++ of course but Java as well). Does a
lot of good to the network, usually.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult