WG: LVM / DBCA error

  • From: "BERNHARD Nora" <nora.bernhard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:27:11 +0200

UPDATE!
I finally managed to create the volume as desired. As it didn't work at first,
I thought the problem maybe was the LVM and thus tried to add the vpathes one
by one, no volume, just as single devices, formatted with OCFS. This didn't
work at all, if I touched a file on one node it didn't appear on the other,
obviously some mapping problem because debugocfs showed different vol_ids on
both machines for the same device. Therefore I opened a TAR on Metalink, but
the guys there couldn't help me :/ So I just gave LVM another try, and it
finally worked! For those among you who are interested read on (I created one
volume out of eight new vpathes):

1. Check that the vpathes are visible to the machine: datapath query adatper,
datapath query device, cfgvpath devices

2. Create physical volumes: pvcreate /dev/vpath[e-l]. Take care that you take
the whole vpath, do not make a partition out of every vpath (e.g.
/dev/vpath[e-l]1).

3. Create volume group: vgcreate vg_oradata2 /dev/vpath[e-l]

4. Find out total physical extents: vgdisplay vg_oradata2 |grep "Total PE"

5. Create logical volume: lvcreate -l <insert Total PE> vg_oradata2 -n
lv_oradata2

6. Create OCFS: mkfs.ocfs -b 128 -L oradata2 -m /oradata2 -u 700 -g 701 -p 0755
/dev/vg_oradata2/lv_oradata2 -F (I _guess_ the -F was the reason why my first
try with LVM didn't work, I think maybe I forgot this option.)

Then I just needed to create the new mountpoint and mount the new volume.
That's how it worked for me.

Cheers,

Nora