Re: VmWare

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: litanli@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 17:23:09 +0000

I have to say I still don't like this note. How many of you are running on
HP kit (Linux or Windows)? A fair few one imagines. Oracle hasn't certified
any of it's products on HP hardware either (well except v1 of the db
machine). But when you log a support call for a new issue (i.e one that
doesn't come up in a metalink search) Oracle support don't say "Sorry that's
an unkown issue, please refer to HP support or reproduce it on SUN kit".
Instead they work the issue and if it looks like a hardware issue, then they
will suggest involving the hardware vendor. As it happens I'm working an
issue with support right now re warehouse builder. Oracle support very
quickly offered the following "solution"

Solution Offered : Don't run OWB on VMWare.

It's taken a week to convince the analyst to work the case. (I think it was
the working instance of OWB on the same machine that did it:) ).

Niall Litchfield

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Li Li <litanli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

this is a metalink note stating oracle's support position: Oracle has
not certified any of its products on VMware.  For Oracle RAC, Oracle
will only
accept Service Requests as described in this note on Oracle RAC
11.2.0.2 and later
releases.

Support Position for Oracle Products Running on VMWare Virtualized
Environments [ID 249212.1]

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info