Re: Views and Predicates, part 2

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:52:16 -0000

/*+ no_merge */ goes after the select keyword
in the in-line view, or you can use

/*+ no_merge (alias) */ after the select that has
the in-line view in its from clause.

I haven't been following your thread closely -
but I don know that analytic functions can, on
occasion, be unfolded from views, but are more
likely to be instantiated.  I would be surprised if
the code to do the unfolding worked every time
it was supposed to.  I guess in your case, the
use of the index full scan has been considered
as the cheap way of instantiating the view across
the whole table because it avoids makes the window
sorts effectively free.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

Next public appearances:
 Jan 29th 2004 UKOUG Unix SIG -  v$ and x$
 March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - The Burden of Proof
 March 2004 Charlotte NC OUG - CBO Tutorial
 April 2004 Iceland

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar: