RE: Varrays

  • From: "Anthony Molinaro" <amolinaro@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>, "Natural Join B.V." <lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:26:23 -0400

Dick,
  you have a couple of options.
 =20
  First, as soon as you can, get the varrays, nested tables, objects, =
etc...
  out of your tables. Those constructs are best suited for pl/sql
  not in relational tables.=20
 =20
  Second, don't blame your developer. You dba's love doin that.
  Just post your question and be done with it.
  "Duhveloper"... brilliant. Check the lazydba list for a week
  and you tell me how many duh-dba's you see there.

  Anyway, one thing you can do is cartesian the varray into a regular =
table,
  then you can do regular updates.

create table varray_fix as
select model_number, archive_tape_id, x.column_value historical_tape_id
  from module_master, table(historical_tape_id) x
 order by 1;

now you have a regular table and can get rid of the table with the =
varray.

If you are forced to keep the varray, you can add values like this:
(i'm adding 3 values, 100,200,300 to the varray without touching
the other values)

declare
    x hist_tape_id;
begin
    for i in ( select model_number, historical_tape_id from =
module_master )
    loop
        x :=3D i.historical_tape_id;
        for i in 1 .. 3
        loop
            x.extend(1);
            x(x.last()) :=3D i*100;
        end loop;
        update module_master set historical_tape_id =3D x=20
         where model_number =3D i.model_number;
    end loop;
end;
/

 =20
That will successfully add 3 vals (100,200,300) to each varray in the =
table.

hope that helps,
    ant =20