RE: V$SGASTAT in 10.2 and the Reserved Pool

  • From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rxsherm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 01:12:13 +0800

Reseved shared pool memory is physically a part of normal shared pool
memory. Oracle spreads the reserved pool evenly across all shared pool
memory extents, that way the reserved pool can grow-shrink easier along with
rest of shared pool.

When you do a shared pool heapdump, you'd see there are tiny chunks of
memory called "reserved stoppers". When kgh heap manager is searching for
free space within an extent and hits the reserved stopper chunk, it will
know that memory from this stopper up to end of extent is reserved, thus
doesn't allow small allocations there.

Tanel.

  _____