RE: VPD vs multiple schems vs multiple instance

  • To: <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>, <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <dubey.sandeep@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 09:57:43 -0400

Dick,

Everything you and Dennis say are predicated by trade-offs.  Both
approaches have strengths and weaknesses and it really comes down to
both company and personal management.

I prefer the separate instances.  To me it's much cleaner and easier to
sort out.  Security requests are applied to one instance (let Tom see
this stuff).  Downtime is the same across both approaches, although if
you have separate instances, one client may be down for a specific
reason (say a truly ugly batch process) while the other two clients are
not affected.  Same goes for a database restore.  That was my
suggestion.  I like your hard-line response (pay me to fix it) but it
leaves me with little other options (and we know that company politics
sometimes makes these decisions).

I would have one shared Oracle home.  Migration is applied one instance
at a time.  Simple but effective.  Oracle patch sets are another animal.
No choice but to evaluate and apply them to all instances where the risk
is high.

So we disagree, but I think on personal principles.

tom