VLDBA's: gather stats on a large table

  • From: "Teehan, Mark" <mark.teehan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:34:07 +0800

I have a 7bn row,  weekly partitioned IOT that adds hundreds of millions of
rows each week. A five percent stats job estimate takes 20 hrs every weekend.
Given that I only insert to the latest partition, all others are RO, and have
no global indexes, how should I gather stats? As the app doesnt specify the
partition in selects, I need to maintain global stats, which means I need to
rescan all 7bn rows each time. Is there a better way to do this? How to you
gather stats on data that is 90% read-only, but maintain accurate global stats?

Thanks!
Mark Teehan

misdirected, CSFB does not waive any confidentiality or privilege. CSFB retains
and monitors electronic communications sent through its network. Instructions
transmitted over this system are not binding on CSFB until they are confirmed
by us. Message transmission is not guaranteed to be secure.