Re: VLDB ASM & SAN Striping Question

  • From: Matthew Zito <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 11:38:21 -0400

I haven't poked around the EVA line in a while, but if I remember
correctly,what you describe is basically impossible in an EVA.  The
way an EVA works, you make a disk group, and all of the LUNs in that
disk group are dynamically striped across the disks in that group.
You could theoretically make a 2-disk group, and one LUN from those,
but I *think* you have to assign hot spares to individual disk groups,
and hence you'd burn a lot of storage just on spares in that
architecture.

What you could do is ask them to make sure that when you add a new
LUN, it comes from a different disk group than the current LUNs.
Probably your best bet.

Matt