Re: VB Access to Oracle Database

  • From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:36:50 -0700 (PDT)

Niall

  Yes you are right as otherwise the error should be like ORA-12454 or like. It
look like is not reading the tnsnames.ora for Alias and so is the reason that
there is no trace file generated.

  The strange point is that I used the same .msi file to install the
application. Is it possible that user have some permission issue or reinstall
Oracle Client

  Tx
  Sanjay

Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Hi Sanjay

  "database does not exist" is not an Oracle error.  It looks like an
application developers exception handling message to me which is masking the
underlying error.

  It might well be worth running

  select username,service_name from v$session;

  once the vb app is successfully connected. That will tell you what service
the machine is using.

  Niall

  On 7/10/07, Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:     I had a weird
situation where I had 3 PC and Oracle 10g Client is installed on them. I had
installed one of the VB application on all three connecting to Oracle 10g DB.

  One PC is able to read the Service correctly and connect to the database
while others are not

  THere is only One Oracle Home on them

  Sqlplus work fine in connecting to the Database and So TNS Service or alias
are correct

  I tried to trace parameter in sqlnet.ora but found that only Sqlplus
connection is only creating Trace file while there is no trace file created
with VB Access which look like that it is not reading the Tnsnames.

  No Oracle errors except database does not exist

  I had also added TNS_ADMIN in environment pointing to OH/network/admin

  Any other suggestion

  TIA
  Sanjay

  Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate