Re: Using TOAD on production databases

The production issue is one of the main reasons we developed our freeware tool
SchemaSurf (the other requirement being web-based).  Although it doesn't claim
anywhere near-like the industrial strength that Toad has, it does provide
developers with read-only access to production data/models.  TOAD is a great
tool, but with Sarbanes-Oxley, it's critical that appropriate procedures are in
place (so we can all go break them!)

SchemaSurf has been installed in more than 50 countries, and we had numerous
folks at OAUG shows etc tell us that they use TOAD for dev/test and SchemaSurf
for prod.  Made their management very happy .... and DBA's were able to control
access via tns/name servers etc. since SchemaSurf doesn't use SQL*Net/Net8.

It's at http://www.cobblesoft.com/schemasurf/ for anyone interested.

Regards,

Richard J Stevenson
CobbleSoft International Ltd.