Re: Using DD to Read Data from Oracle Datafiles

  • From: Michael Haddon <m.haddon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tim@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:09:09 -0600

Very well put Tim, the most ethical people I have run into are in IT, while it's normally the executive management that schemes to deceive. I have never read about 'that sysadmin/dba that used their access to cheat the company and it's employees for their own benefit'.

I couldn't have said it better

Mike

Tim Gorman wrote:
Mark,

Funny you should mention this...

About 2 years ago, I was having a discussion with the CFO of an energy company located here in Denver.  We were talking about Sarbanes-Oxley.  Since the law provides for the CEO and CFO to be imprisoned and/or fined for violations, she declared, "I am *NOT* going to go to jail because of some crooked IT person."  There were about 15-18 people around to hear this, mostly academic types, all looking grave.

I was a little incensed by this trash talk, and when that happens I tend to speak more quietly than normal.  I asked her, "In all of the news stories about companies like Enron, MCI, Qwest, and similar, did you ever see a single IT person led out of the building in handcuffs?  Did you ever read about a single IT person involved in any way in any of those scandals?  Nope.  Because IT people are the most trustworthy people anywhere.  It's people from accounting and the financial side of the house who are being caught, indicted, convicted, and sentenced.  But with all this Sarbanes-Oxley nonsense, IT is first to be forced to fix what isn't broken."

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l