Using CONVERT DATABASE for endian change?

Good afternoon,

I'm staring down a database migration from SPARC "Solaris[tm] OE
(64-bit)" to x86_64 "Solaris Operating System (AMD64)".  Those names
in quotes are from the v$transportable_platform and/or v$database
platform_name field.  I'll come back to that in a minute.

I've done a small test of a migration using transportable tablespaces
and datapump and then using rman to convert the datafiles on the
target platform.  I couldn't do tablespace conversion on the source
platform because  "Solaris Operating System (AMD64)" wasn't listed in
v$transportable_platform on that box.  (If anyone knows anything about
that, I'd love to hear it. both are 10.2.0.2)  However this still
leaves me needing to manually perform a great deal of other things.

I've been reading about the CONVERT DATABASE command, specifically
CONVERT DATABASE ON TARGET PLATFORM.  However from my reading and
initial dbms_tdb.check_db() tests, it doesn't seem to support endian
conversion.  Yet in the sample scripts I see in the tahiti doc [0], it
does basically the same RMAN "CONVERT DATAFILE" that I did in my other
tests, so I'm wondering why an endian conversion wouldn't be
supported.  Performing CONVERT DATABASE would take care of a lot of
work that I had been doing manually to this point.

If anyone has any experience with CONVERT DATABASE and/or updating the
V$TRANSPORTABLE_PLATFORM list, I'd love to know.

[0]
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/dbxptrn003.htm#sthref1413

--
Don Seiler