RE: Useful Oracle books - C.J. Date theory vs. practicality

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 17:01:29 -0400

Is your dislike of COBOL really a problem with the language or with the way
people wrote the programs you had to work with?  I used to like the
language.

For solving business tasks I used to be able to generate working COBOL code
in very reasonable time periods that still compares well to how long it
takes to solve similar problems today.  My main problem was trying to find
and fix bugs in the spaghetti code that the program authors had developed
for a set of business rules that had long since changed and which were never
documented.  I am willing to bet if you let those same people code C or Perl
like they coded COBOL that anyone who was introduced to those languages
while assigned with working on programs developed like I just mentioned
would develop a dislike for the language in question.

Have a good weekend.
-- Mark D Powell --