RE: Useful Oracle books - C.J. Date theory vs. practicality

> just for fun, check out these two commands:
>
> IF     (some condition) THEN (statement 1) ELSE (statement 2);
> IF NOT (some condition) THEN (statement 2) ELSE (statement 1);
>
> regardless the contents of your data structures,
> in COBOL these two are equivalent but in PL/SQL they are not!

You've really lost me here.

12:22:41 rsysdevdb.radisys.com - jkstill@dv01 SQL>
12:22:46 rsysdevdb.radisys.com - jkstill@dv01 SQL> l
  1  begin
  2
  3     if true then
  4             dbms_output.put_line('TRUE');
  5     else
  6             dbms_output.put_line('FALSE');
  7     end if;
  8
  9     if not true then
 10             dbms_output.put_line('FALSE');
 11     else
 12             dbms_output.put_line('TRUE');
 13     end if;
 14
 15* end;
12:22:47 rsysdevdb.radisys.com - jkstill@dv01 SQL> /
TRUE
TRUE

Maybe I need a slug of Ardberg to understand.

Jared