RE: Use of OID for name resolution

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:27:55 -0700 (PDT)

> Check out tnsManager, here:
> http://www.shutdownabort.com/tnsmanager/

Mark,

Do you know if tnsManager has the capability of resolving a connection
for your SQL that references a remote connection without a DB link?
What I mean is that, with OID (or NAMES), "select * from t@conn" works
even without creating the database link "conn", as long as

* "conn" is a connection string entry in OID that resolves to a
remote database
* The DB server you run the query on is configured to look up names
in OID
* The username/password are the same for this local and the "conn"
database (if not, you get ORA-1017, but not ORA-02019: connection
description for remote database not found)

I find this feature quite convenient when I need to access a
remote database on a temporary, or even permanent, basis.

Yong Huang