Use of CURRENT_DATE vs SYSDATE and DST

All,

I had a developer ask me a question today that I missed in our
discussion regarding the DST patches.  He showed me where:

SQL> select to_char(sysdate,'mm/dd/yyyy hh24:mi:ss'),

  2  to_char(current_date,'mm/dd/yyyy hh24:mi:ss')

  3  from dual;

Sysdate                   Current Date

----------------------------- -----------------------------

03/22/2007 15:14:24 03/22/2007 16:14:25

So after patching my database with the current DST patch (and not
patching the client), the value of CURRENT_DATE is incorrect - it is
15:14 right now.  And what the heck does CURRENT_DATE return?  One hour
ahead?  I would expect it to be one hour behind (at 14:14) until the end
of March.

Does this make sense?  And when I applied the client patches, the value
of CURRENT_DATE did not change???

I told my developer to not use CURRENT_DATE - stick to SYSDATE.

Tom
This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged
information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this
transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  In addition,
unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law,
including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985.  If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.