RE: Use SQL*Plus 10g to connect to 9i databases

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <andert@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:56:51 -0400

Stephen,

The error means that you've connected to a listener at the host/port
specified in your connect string, but the listener you've connected to
doesn't recognize the value of SERVICE_NAME specified in the connect
string.  On the database server, where the listener is running, if you
do a 'lsnrctl services', is the service you're trying to connect to
listed there?  Also on the database server, what if you connect to the
database with "/ as sysdba", and do 'alter system register;"?  Then try
the lsnrctl command again, is the service listed?  Did that fix the
problem?  If not, are there multiple listeners on that database server?
Maybe you're connecting to the wrong one, and it doesn't support that
service?

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,
pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently,
die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."   --Robert A. Heinlein