Re: Urgent-ORA0001 Unique COnstraint

I have not tested this recently, but I believe it was true at 1 point in
time on some version of Oracle.

If the PK index is created at the same time as th PK constraint, then the
index will be dropped when the constraint is disabled.
However, if the UNIQUE index is created first & then the PK is created, when
the constraint is disabled the UNIQUE index remains intact.

HTH & YMMV!

On 3/6/07, Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Paul

I had a question that if I was told by one user that they are loading some
data into the  DW table and disable the constraint but still getting the
error about the unique Constraint.

I tried to insert data into the Primary Key column and found that it is
failing with Unique Constraint Error even the constraint is disabled.

I tried to drop the constraint and tried to insert the data and found the
same Unique constraint error which gives and idea the Primary Key related
index is still not dropped even I dropped the Primary key constraint. I
don't know if this is possible that If I drop the constraint using alter
table drop constraint command and it is still not dropping the index.

I hope this make more sense.

Sanjay

*"Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>* wrote:

Did you have a question?

Do you not understand why a primary key constraint would fail validation?

Do you want to know how to diagnose the problem?

Your post is more likely to get a response if you show that you have tried
on your own to solve your problem, and then ask a specific question rather
than just announcing that you have a problem.

*Paul Baumgartel*
*CREDIT SUISSE*
Information Technology
DBA & Admin - NY, KIGA 1