Upgrading 10g to 11g while in DG config

  • From: "Laurent, Vincent" <Vince_Laurent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:46:35 -0500

I am trying to follow Oracle(r) Data Guard Broker 11g Release 2 (11.2) E17023-05
"B.2 Upgrade from Release 10.n and 11.1 to Release 11.2"
The steps seem straight forward but also leave a lot of meat out.

In a nutshell:
1. shut down the broker
2. upgrade the database software on the Physical Standby
3. upgrade the database software on the live database
4. bring the standby up and set to receive log files
5. upgrade the live database with archiving ON to ship logs.

There is nothing about messing with the initSID.ora on the standby so
everything still point to 102_64 dirs.
Nor anything about moving the associated data guard files.

When I did mine the listeners could no longer 'see' each other to transfer
files.
All I did in the listener and tnsames files was change the ORACLE_HOME

The DGMGRL could not locate the configuration since it was only in the new home
on the live database.
There is nothing about moving anything from the OLD_ORACLE_HOME to the
NEW_ORACLE_HOME in the database
software upgrade part ONLY in the database upgrade part.

So what I am looking for is a list of what database upgrade parts should be
done on the standby
that actually don't involve upgrading the standby database until the primary is
done.

Confused? I know I am.
Vince

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any
attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may contain confidential and privileged information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.