Re: Upgrade DB with no downtime

  • From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:59:27 -0700 (PDT)

A pair of databases with the application's tables replicated using
multimaster replication would allow what the poster is asking.

8i, 9i or 10g databases are able to engage in multimaster replication
with each other, so I think this would be an acceptable answer.

This would require an initial single brief (well scripted) downtime to
rename and open a standby in sync with the primary, and enable
multimaster replication on the appropriate application tables.  From
then on, users could be switched back and forth between them using
tnsnames, and the upgrades could be perforned on whichever database
the users are not using.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton