Unsetting Parameters in the spfile (was spfile/listener question)

  • From: Feighery Raymond <Raymond.Feighery@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:40:45 +0100

Thanks for the correction.

Interestingly, I tested this using an spfile. When I came to unset the
service_names in the spfile (that is to return it to its default value), the
documented way did not seem the right way to go about it.

Oracle9i Database Administrator's Guide Release 2 (9.2) states:

"Deleting Initialization Parameter Values
For initialization parameters whose values are string values you can restore
a parameter to its default value (effectively deleting it), by using the
following syntax:

ALTER SYSTEM SET parameter = '';

For numeric and boolean value parameters, you must specifically set the
parameter back to its original default value."

This seems like a nasty workaround to me. You have to hardcode values to
their default? What if the default value is dynamically based on other
parameters which subsequently change? It also shows up as a non-default
system parameter.
Using a pfile, it's trivial; you can just delete the parameter.

One clunky workaround would be to go spfile -> pfile -> delete parameter ->
spfile.

The solution seems to be to use the reset parameter of alter system i.e.

alter system reset service_names scope=spfile sid='*';

I think you have to use the sid= option as this command is designed for RAC.

Ray