Re: Unix user Oracle

  • From: Rodd Holman <rodd.holman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 11:19:10 -0500

The "oracle" user by default has no more or less privileges than joe, bob,
or john.  It's just a userid created by your SA to manage oracle software
installs and running the database.  The extra privileges are granted to the
user by assigning groups, or adjusting kernel and processing limits as
described in the oracle installation documentation for unix systems. You
could name the user anything you want to, but why would you?  Most of the
folks in this world, and Oracle's own documentation use the "oracle" user
for this purpose.  This is one where most folks just go with the flow.

--Rodd Holman