Re: Unix script to check database status

  • From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 05:26:00 -0800

You use good HW and maintain it like any other production server.

chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 03/10/2004 12:58 AM
 Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Unix script to check database status

Jared,

I agree doing it from a single server is more efficient and is my general
approach on management / admin. But there's always the issue of what
happens
when the "management / admin server" is down. (Having a 2nd one as backup
is
nice but often the money doesn't run that far).

Cheers,

Chris

Quoting Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx:

> There are at least two drawbacks to this method.
>
> 1) You must run the script from the server, so that your scripts must
run
> on every database server.  It is much more efficient to do this from a
> single server.
>
> 2) related to 1.  This does not test sqlnet.
>
> Just food for thought.
>
> Jared
>

> "Ryan" <ryan.gaffuri@xxxxxxx>
> Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  03/09/2004 02:23 PM
>  Please respond to oracle-l
>

>         To:     <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: Unix script to check database status
>

> ls -l | grep pmon
>
> then cut out the database name. You will also want to attempt to log in
as
> follows
>
> sqlplus -s / << EOF > $TEMPFILE
>    select 1
>    from dual;
> EOF
> if [ ! $? -eq 0]; them
>    send $TEMPFILE to yourself in an email.
> fi
> delete $TEMPFILE
> You are probably going to want to start creating an architecture for
this,
> since as time goes on you will want to add more and more stuff(such as
> checking the alert log, testing queries and query plans, segments and
> tablespace stuff as well... )
>
> So I recommend the following
>
> 1. scripts to create a tempfile, delete a tempfile, and concatenate
stuff
> into your tempfile(these are like 5 lines each).
> 2. A wrapped email script with a flag for success, failure, and warning
> 3. An email list with emails of who gets what. For example
>
> DATABASE CHECK [1] michael@xxxxxxxxxxx ryan@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Then your scripts can grep for that with the status(1 is for failure)
and
> send the appropriate email.
>
> From here you can plug into your architecture. This will make your life
> easier.