RE: Unix script to check database status

  • From: Stephen.Lee@xxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 15:56:16 -0600

On 2/19, I posted a ready-to-run ksh function under the subject of "writing
job dependencies shell script" which you are welcome to snag and use.  "All"
you need to do is build a driver script around it ... which ... in the case
of my driver script is approximately 2,000 additional lines.  Keep in mind
that once you send out a page, you don't want to keep on and keep on and
keep on sending out the same page.  And it is really nice if the script runs
on two boxes and can monitor the copy of the script running on the other
box.  And it's nice to have a config file where you can say when to monitor
this or that instance, and whether it should page or just e-mail about this
instance, if you don't want to get paged in the middle the night about some
pitiful development database.  And the script needs to read its passwords
from someplace because you're probably not going to daemon agents running on
the remote boxes listening for magic words on certain sockets.  And it's
nice if the script can read a file to get the addresses to send pages and/or
e-mails because people do come and go.  And it goes without saying that it
should be able to detect syntax errors in its config files and tell you
about it so that you can fix it.

In other words: Are the requirements for REAL monitoring, or are we talking
Sears monitoring?
(OK. You would have to be pretty old and a Frank Zappa listener to get that
one.)

I'm just curious: Did you volunteer for this, or did some bonehead
"volunteer" you without understanding why the commercial boys don't
generally give this kind of software away for free?

> Well, I don't have a script to do that,
> I wrote a Pro*C program that does that & a ton more,
> in less than a minute per db, normally.

I would love to have a spiffy example of Pro C programming.
PLEASE!!

> Ite missa est, perl is the best.

What's Jar-Jar got to do with this?  Missa thinks youssa is wrong.

===