RE: Universal database interface?

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:23:09 -0400

 I think Tom Kyte of asktom fame wrote a response on this topic that said if
he was going to design a database independent application he would write a
web interface without any SQL calls.  Instead all SQL would be encapsulated
in procedure calls that pass back cursors.  This was you just write a
database specific procedure for each port: Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, etc....

Naturally this makes any database without stored procedures a non-choice for
the product.

I kind of like this design idea.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell --