Re: Undo tablespace offline and ORA-00376

  • From: "Giovanni Cuccu" <giovanni.cuccu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dba.orcl@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:56:55 +0100

Hi Sami,
   I was hitting a very similar issue on 9.2.0.4 on linux (non RAC). I
posted a similar problem on this list and I got some very interesting
answers. IIRC it seems that the only solution is to drop the old undo
tablespace(s) (after a clear shutdown and startup in order to be sure
that none needs undo info from the old tablespace).
Hope it  helps,
    Giovanni

On 3/16/06, Sami Seerangan <dba.orcl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2 Node RAC,9.2.0.6, Sun OS 2.8
>
> We created new undo tablespaces (UNDO3, UNDO4) for each node1 and
> node2 respectively and changed default undo tablespace to UNDO3 and
> UNDO4. Then we put old UNDO tablespaces offline.
>
> After 2 days we are trying to create a new index and it gives the
> following error.
>
> Any idea?
>
> SQL> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX ABC_KEY_IDX01 ON ABC_STAGE (SESSN_KEY,
> PART_KEY,SUB_PART_KEY) TABLESPACE STAGE_INDEX LOCAL NOPARALLEL;
>                                            *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
> ORA-00376: file 2 cannot be read at this time
> ORA-01110: data file 2: '/u01/oradata/pdw/undotbs01.dbf'
>

> Luckily the tablespace is still offline and I can bring it online. But
> I just wanted to know teh reason behind this?
>

> Thanks
> Sami
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l