Re: Understanding Gets, Pins and Reloads - V$librarycache, consideration of evil

  • From: "Ram Raman" <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 14:16:24 -0500

Thanks Mark :) I hear your side clear.

After being condemned so bad, when I saw that the **10.2** manual was
talking about ratios, I thought maybe it was some kind of exception. I know
the subject has been beaten to death, but still seeing it in 10.2 manual was
what made me ask the question.

On 5/16/07, Mark W. Farnham <mwf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

 That depends on your moral matrix. For me, I consider the useless
generation of entropy to be evil. Since brain cells firing use energy,
thinking about hit ratios generates entropy. Since hit ratios don't amuse me
as a puzzle or serve any other intellectually pleasing function and since
they serve no practical purpose, I suppose for me consideration of hit
ratios is indeed evil.

If hit ratios were at least as indicative that something needs attention
as an oil pressure light (rather than a gauge) you might look at them. But
since assembling the required other information to tell whether the hit
ratios mean anything provides more information than the hit ratios
themselves and since the hit ratios themselves add no value to the required
contextual data to interpret them I find them entirely useless.

Now the debate about whether the "first inquiry" should be counted as a
hit, a miss, or nothing in formulating the hit ratio equation is mildly
entertaining, but since it devolves to the semantic definition of a useless
metric that leaves me flat as well.

So, yes, at least small "e" evil.

The direct questions are:

1)       Am I waiting for something that should be in cache at steady
state operation that I threw out for lack of allocating memory or slots?

2)       Is the wait part of a delay of a process I need to have faster to
meet a service level?

3)       Is removing the part of the delay caused by the lack of
allocation worth the cost to allocate more (whether or not this brings me
totally in compliance with the service level) considering relative costs to
reduce other parts of the delay?

4)       Is it cheaper to over-allocate than it is to get the rest of the
performance team to stop worrying about it through logic? (Especially if
your machine is memory rich, this is often sadly true).

Regards,

mwf