Unable to really switch undo tablespace

  • From: Giovanni Cuccu <giovanni.cuccu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:36:59 +0100

Hi all,
     I'm facing a problem with undo tablespace with oracle 9.2.0.4
running on linux redhat 3.
Due to an error a procedure  has consumed a lot of undo space, causing
the growth of the undo tablespace datafile up to 16gb (the datafile
was in autoextend mode). Now I'd like to go back to the previous
situation where the undo tablespace was 4gb.
I created a new undo, namely undotbs_02, and made the switch as
described in the manual via
ALTER SYSTEM SET UNDO_TABLESPACE = undotbs_02;
the switch completed but when I tried (some weeks later and after a
clean shutodown) to offline the orginal one some of the programs began
to report
"unable to read datafile 2..."
Needless to say datafile 2 is the old undo tablespace.
If I query the dba_rollback_segs I can see all the rollback segments
belonging to the old undo tablespace as offline, the dba_undo_extents
show the status as unexpired.
I already shutdown immediate the database, after the switch and server
days later, is there anything I can do to get out of this enpasse?
I already opened a tar (now SR) but until now I didn't received any
useful suggestion.
Thanks to all,
     Giovanni

Another free oracle resource profiler