"Unable to connect to Cluster Manager" from the RDBMS O_H

I have a pre-existing x64 Linux 10.2.0.4 RDBMS Oracle_Home with a running database.

I installed an ASM only Oracle_Home under a different account (in the "dba") group and successfully configured cssd, raw devices and an ASM instance. I can see the two disk groups that I have manually configured in the ASM instance. I can stop and restart cssd and the ASM instance successfully. I understand the dependency (ie cssd must start *before* the ASM instance).

However, when I try to add a tablespace in the RDBMS Oracle_Home database, using the "+DG_1" specification, I get
ORA-29701 "unable to connect to Cluster Manager".

What do I have to do to get the RDBMS Oracle_Home to see cssd running from the ASM Oracle_Home ?

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com