RE: UNIX file system read/write locks

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "_oracle_L_list" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:47:26 -0700

                I haven't heard about CIO for Linux so I guess they
don't have it.

...PolyServe direct I/O is free of write-ordering locks and mtime/atime
updates
as is ODM and Quick I/O on Veritas SFRAC. I/O on these are fully
concurrent, we
just down say CIO, because DIO that is not CIO is not really DIO...the
CIO guys
lagged in the critical deliverable so when they finally produced it they
had to
make it sound like it was something novel. That is, anythnig called DIO
that is
not also inherently CIO is just a partial implementation. After all, we
aren't
talking about splitting atoms. Oracle 6.0.26 on Sequent Dynix/ptx
supported
async/direct I/O on ufs and it was fully concurrent...in 1991.