Re: UNIX environment

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:51:53 -0600

on 8/29/04 9:59 AM, Bob Metelsky at bobmetelsky@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Also, as Mark pointed out Services For Unix
> http://www.interopsystems.com/downloads.htm seems interesting albeit
> probably similar to Cygwin. When I have some time I may try it.

I don't know about that website, but I've used Microsoft's own "Services for
UNIX" in several situations, and it is a terrific implementation of most
familiar UNIX services on a Windows server, including "cron" and "vi".  A
lot of the shell scripts on my website run without modification in SFU,
except for some obvious exceptions.  You can download this free software
from "http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/default.asp";, it's only about
350Mb, and it installs and sets up as easily as any package should...

> Looking ahead, Im wondering about the VNC's
> http://www.tightvnc.com/screenshots.html
> http://www.realvnc.com/what.html
> are all options for a GUI interface to a Linux/Unix server (depending on
> company policy + the SA)

VNC is also a complete (and free) replacement for the "PC Anywhere" type
packages in an all-Windows environment.  Except for it's performance over a
slow network and a somewhat annoying X-Windows interface, VNC is the
greatest thing, for any environment, since sliced bread.