RE: UNIX environment

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:05:10 -0400

Bob,

1).  Windows workstations.
2).  We use putty with ssh enabled.
3).  No Xwindows here.  We do not manage the Unix box itself - just the
databases.  There is another group responsible for the OS environment.
4).  We use SqlPlus, OEM and Toad to manage the databases.  Sqlplus with
.bat scripting on the desktop for application installations (stored objects,
table creations etc.).

This all works well for us.  We use file shares for all of our database
create script and object management.  Nothing is on the Unix box for
creating the database.  Unix ksh scripts/cron for running backups and gather
stats jobs.

So basically, we work in the NT world to create and maintain database schema
objects.  Also to create the database create scripts (we don't use the
Oracle tools to create or migrate databases).  Unix scripting for database
server scripting.

Hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional