Re: UNION ALL with ROW_NUMBER vs UNION (WAS: "Wow - has anyone used ROW_NUMBER() to get around using a UNION statement when UNION ALL doesn't work??")

  • From: Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 17:56:48 -0700

Let me try to convey this a slightly different way:

To say the only difference in the SQL is UNION vs UNION ALL is not the
same as to say the UNION execution plan is identical UNION ALL
execution plan other than the sort unique required (e.g. the input
into the UNION or UNION ALL row source).

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn