Re: Tuning RMAN: what is rsr_l0key?

  • From: "Charles Schultz" <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:06:34 -0500

Since I was not able to get a definitive answer about what rsr_l0key is, I
did some investigation. This is not rocket science, but I want to share it
just in case anyone else is curious.

Apparently, rsr_l0key only has relevance when row_level = 2 (also when
row_type = 'RECURSIVE OPERATION'). When that is the case, rsr_l0key is the
level 0 key, where rsr_pkey is the level 1 key and rsr_key is the level 2
key. I think level 2 is the max, at least it is in my database. This is the
only case where nvl(rsr_pkey,-1) != nvl(rsr_l0key, -1), or to put it in
english, when the parent key is not exactly the same as the level 0 key,
even if they are both null.

I am not exactly sure why the rc_rman_status view wants to union in all the
null level 0 keys. It seems like you would grab all the regular rsr keys,
and if you want parent information, go get it with a hierarchy or something.

However, I am even more perplexed about the original query. Why select a
session key using a very generic timestamp that has nothing to do with your
session?

Where are those rman developers when you need to ask completely inane,
innocuous and inconsequential questions. =)

--
Charles Schultz