Tuning RMAN: what is rsr_l0key?

  • From: "Charles Schultz" <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:10:18 -0500

We are having some serious performance problems with the RMAN catalog;
Oracle suggested that we upgraded to 10.2.0.3 but I think that has only
moved the bottlenecks to different parts of the architecture. Right now, we
are getting killed by this rman query:
SELECT NVL(MAX(SESSION_KEY), 0) FROM RC_RMAN_STATUS WHERE SESSION_STAMP < :
B1

Our RC_RMAN_STATUS has ~500 k rows. Looking at the view, there is a union
for rows were rsr.rsr_l0key is null. A third of our rows have a null value
for that column. What is rsr_l0key? It is not documented.

I am sure our problem is related to volume, but I am not convinced that this
should be the problem. I mean, come on, this is a measly 500,000 rows.
We are in the progress of creating a colocated catalog to partition the load
a little. But I am still curious about the internals of rman, especially
since it is not documented.

--
Charles Schultz