Re: Tuning RMAN backup and recovery

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:54:43 -0600

On Dec 28, 2007 9:30 AM, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm trying to get detailed specifics on the lay of the storage
> landscape beneath ASM.  As I've indicated in another thread, we're
> currently just using two 933gb LUNs for this disk group.  These LUNs
> are carved from the SAN and composed of a number of disks under RAID
> 10.  I'm waiting for the admin to give me info like individual disk
> size and stripe size.  IIRC, each RAID group is composed of 3 data and
> 3 parity disks, the LUNs are then striped across those, and then ASM
> is striped across the (two) LUNs in the normal ASM disk group fashion.
>
> We are using external redundancy in the ASM disk group.
>
> I'll write back when I get more storage specifics.

OK I was able to get these specifics about our RMAN and ASM LUNs:

    *  ASM disks: both are 14 disks, RAID 10, 7D+7P
    * RMAN: 12 disks, RAID 10, 6D+6P
    * Disks are each 73G
    * Stripe size is 64k

The D+P means data and parity for mirroring.

Re: ASM.  It seems to me like we're shooting ourselves in the foot if
we give ASM two big striped-and-mirrored LUNs rather than at least
letting ASM handle the striping across 7 disks rather than 2.  I'd
like to know what people's thoughts who've had more experience with
such things.

Although I digress from the immediate problem of the RMAN post-restore
catalog task taking forever.

Don.

--
Don Seiler