RE: Trying to drop old undo tablespace that needs recovery

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mark.strickland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:39:49 -0400

Mark,

Your problem is likely the oracle (transactions) are still holing on to and
UNDO segment and oracle want to right itself.

>>They [offline undo segments] don't show a status of needing recovery.

I have not been in the exact position, but in a very similar one...sadly
several times.
I would like to see more of the ORA-00600 or other ORA- error details.

I have my own notes titled;
Drop Rollback or UNDO Tablspace With Active / Corrupt / "NEEDS RECOVERY"
Segments
I will send them to you directly.

But in a basically it goes like this;

- The Issue: ORA- errors
- UNDO/RBS Seem OK!?:  select segment_name, status from dba_rollback_segs;
- Edit init.ora to Comment UNDO/RBS parameters
- UNDO/RBS Issue Obvious now!:  select segment_name, status from
dba_rollback_segs;
- IF YOU CAN *NOT* OPEN THE DATABASE: Edit init.ora to Comment UNDO/RBS
parameters & ADD "_smu_debug_mode", event 10015
- startup Again
- View event="10015 trace file for corrupted rollback/undo segments
- NOW FIX CORRUPTED SEGMENTS
- Edit init.ora to "force" Rollback or UNDO offline: _OFFLINE_ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS
or _CORRUPTED_ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS
- UNDO/RBS Issue Is Real (bad)!: select segment_name, status from
dba_rollback_segs;
- Drop Rollback or UNDO Segments:
- UNDO/RBS All Gone...Easy and Simple to Drop UNDO/RBS Tablespace.
- Drop The Rollback or UNDO Tablespace
- RE-Create The Rollback or UNDO Tablespace
- Edit init.ora to Comment _OFFLINE_ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS= and UNcomment "undo_",
"rbs" parameters.
- UNDO/RBS Issue GONE!: select segment_name, status from dba_rollback_segs;

I will past the whole doc in another post but not sure if it will make it
through?

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA