Truncate table 00054

  • From: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:31:48 -0400

Air pocket.   Does anyone have any insight to this issue.   I feel I am
overlooking a fundamental - or its to early in the morning.

As the owner of the table, a colleague was unable to truncate a table.  (He
committed his session first), receiving a Resource Busy, ORA-00054.

I was able to delete table and commit easily from another session (as non
owner).

There are no foreign keys, it is neither a parent nor child.  No unique or
primary constraints, and no indexes.   (Some check constraints (not null only)).

This lock query returned no rows.
SELECT sid, DECODE( block, 0, 'NO', 'YES' ) BLOCKER,
       DECODE( request, 0, 'NO', 'YES' ) WAITER
  FROM v$lock
 WHERE request > 0 OR block > 0
 ORDER BY block DESC;

The delete worked before more investigation could be done.   (Trying to force
revealing a blocker) - production db.

My search criteria for metalink and google is not returning what I need yet.
(of course I rarely search metalink well).  Searching with oracle-l or ask tom
came close but no cigar.

Best Regards,

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator