Re: Tracing invalid rowid ora-01410

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 10:17:36 -0400

On 08/02/2006 07:28:35 AM, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> Possible cause:
>

> ORA-01410 can be the result of one session
> working through a long running query that
> depends on an index that gets rebuilt by another
> session
>
> The index "moves", but the first session is still
> using the previous version of the index (read
> consistency across DDL).  If the space freed
> by the rebuild is then re-used, the first session
> is likely to crash with a 1410.

Of course, that also points to the problems in the organization. Movers and
rebuilders should do their dirty work when the instance is in restricted
session state, which will minimize the impact on anybody else. This is the
thing for scheduled downtime. I've never had this error because I've always
done things like moving objects when nobody else was logged into the database.
I sort of cheated and restarted the instance in the restricted session mode
to make really, really sure that nobody else is logged on. Such errors really
do point toward the problems in the IT processes.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com