RE: Tool recommendation

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:44:47 -0500 (CDT)

> Why not use SQL
> Developer<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/downloads/index.html>?
> It's from Oracle after all, completely free... pretty good tool over all.

And worth every penny!  ;)

I admit I'm a Toad for Oracle bigot (and a Toad MVP).  But there's good
reasons for that.  While I have a Toad license to help me with my DBA work
(including writing PL/SQL procedures and packages for DB management), I
can't justify it for our business analysts/developers who only need to do
some simpler ad-hoc queries.  But when they need to actually do something
with that data (like extract it), they come to me.  SQL*Developer has a fun
design flaw that requires that a query be rerun in order to export the data
grid.  Not so much fun when the ad-hoc takes an hour.

I also loathe the tree navigation panel, especially for our schemas with
3000 tables and 4500 indexes.  Toad has that option too for those so
inclined, but also has other options to give the user much more flexibility
in the GUI -- I much prefer the multi-lined tabbed navigator.

As far as cost, if you need to whip up a quick ER diagram (or reverse
engineer one from your connected schema), Toad has a basic one built-in.
SQL*Dev's is $3K/user (page 6 on
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/technology-price-list-070617.pdf).
 And there's a slew of built-in tools in Toad for Oracle that SQL*Dev can't
touch.

> Won't run in restricted operation like the free Toad will (1 concurrent
> connection for example).

I gave a few of my coworkers the Free Toad to have them choose between it
and SQL*Dev.  For one, the 1-session limit and 90-day expiration was too
restricting.  For others, the superior features and usability of Toad
outweighed that limitation.

I say "use the best tool for the job".  SQL*Dev would make my work life much
more cumbersome, probably to the point of me going postal.  But that's just
me...YMMV.

Rich