Re: To use SAME or NOT for High End Storage Setup ?

  • From: Peter Sylvester <peters@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: _oracle_L_list <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 14:55:02 -0400

Not to hijack this thread but I have a related question...

What happens to random I/O service time when add drives to a stripe and/or increase/decrease the stripe size?
Is it the same, different, and why?

The reson I ask is that I have a warehouse design that is making heavy use of Oracle's spatial data (R-Tree) indexing and it seems to bottom out on db_file_sequential_read events. It appears that the spatial index processing does a lot of random reads, by rowid, to retrieve a blob, which evidently contains more rowids... Anyway I'd like to know if there are any optinions on how to improve this sort of performance, short of upgrading to 15KRPM drives.