Re: To use SAME or NOT for High End Storage Setup ?

On 5/11/06, Kevin Closson <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, it is my opinion and experience that with the type of HW you have, you should create a SAME volume of max at least 1MB stripe width tht consists of all the LUNS (each being RAID1+0 themselves).

Maybe volume managers have improved since I last used them in anger, but my only concern with that approach is the ongoing growth. That is, you've got (say) 100 disks over which your volumes are all striped, but then management says "you can have 4 new disks each week/month/year" for growth. Such a finanically-imposed policy, resulted in a nice humming batch of 100-disk-stripe volumes on day 1, plus an ever increasing number of cruddy 4-disk-stripe volumes, which you had to fill before management would cough up some dosh for another 4.

Do vol mgr's nowadays have the ability to "rebalance" the volumes ala ASM to
avoid this?  And if so, presumably you're still up for a nasty IO spike
whilst it occurs ?

Cheers
Connor
--
Connor McDonald

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat"