RE: To use SAME or NOT for High End Storage Setup ?

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:13:32 -0700

hmmm...is that much different than Shark?  :-)

Anyway, while I don't fully understand the "2nd level of striping"
question,
I can say from a lot of high end DS4X00 array testing that it
works fine. I routinely take sets of RAID1+0 LUNS and create
a volume in the volume manager as RAID1 (striped). Otherwise
you will have a bunch "chunks" (47 of them) and you'll have to
play some balance games to load up the spindles evenly. If
you put a filesystem on a striped volume of RAID1+0 LUNS you
are indeed SAME. Then you create tablespaces with datafiles
in the filesystem, use direct I/O, async I/O  and you have the optimal
setup using decades old proven deployment methodology.

Or you could use ASM if you like RAW partitions.

PS. The DS4X00 arrays top their stripe width out at 256KB. I
generally go with that.