Re: To autostart database or not?

  • From: "Luis Fernando Cerri" <lfcerri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Taft, David" <TaftD@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 16:07:26 -0300

Hi, David.

Of course each case is a different case with different circumstances
and should be analyzed particularly. I was just playing with the
information provided by the original poster.

At the shops I had worked that manner the SAs and DBAs had been
working at the same organization for years, so we really played as a

Best regards,

2007/5/10, Taft, David <TaftD@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

I can offer one reason why this is not possible.  In many environments, the
SAs at the data center don't work for the same organization as the DBAs.
Completely different companies/contractors.  They are very capable of
starting/stopping a database, but they are a hosting service and their
responsibility ends at the OS level.  At least that is how it has been in
each shop I have worked.

David Taft

From: Luis Fernando Cerri

Why not give the SA the minimum knowledge to use dbshut/dbstart and always
update your /etc/oratab when you create, update or remove an instance?