Re: Thoughts on crs installation on HP-UX

  • From: Maureen English <sxmte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:26:54 -0900

Thanks Gopal,

Yes, 10gR2, and yes, no RAC.

Re #2, why is having CRS run on top of Service Guard/VCS not a good idea.
I'm not a system administrator, but I did question the SA working on this
and was told that we needed CRS in order for the clustering software to
communicate with the Oracle Databases.  We didn't talk about RAC.

Re #4, does this mean that Service Guard/VCS are essentially the
same as CAA for Tru64?  For our current systems we use the Tru64 clustering
software to manage which node each database comes up on.  Since we do not
have RAC databases, we've never installed any Oracle clustering software.

This is a bit confusing....

- Maureen

K Gopalakrishnan wrote:
Maureen,

There is no information about Version. So I assume 10gR2.

Is it safe to assume you have 5 nodes on HP-UX/Veritas Cluster and
want to covert that to Oracle (CRS) clusterware cluster?

Also there is no mention of RAC (Though you say you will have 6-10 Non
RAC databases), and if that is the case, why do you need CRS on top of
VCS?

I am bad at making assumptions,but here some facts.

1. You don't need VCS or Service Guard for RAC. RAC requires Oracle
Clusterware (CRS)
2. Having said that, you can install/run CRS on top of Service
Guard/VCS though it is not a best practice
3. You can have rolling upgrade of Oracle CRS (though all patches are
not rolling upgradeable!)
4. You don't need to install CRS on top of existing clusterware if you
are not running RAC
5. CRS is mandatory for RAC irrespective of OS/hardware

-Gopal