RE: Thoughts on crs installation on HP-UX

  • From: "Fahrenfort, Keith (HP Shared Solutions Architect for Oracle)" <keith.fahrenfort@xxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:40:32 +0000

Hi Maureen, thanks for clarifying that you will be deploying single-instance
Oracle (not RAC) on a Veritas CFS with ServiceGuard - the bundling of the
latter two products is called the HP ServiceGuard Cluster File System for
Oracle, and is part of the HP ServiceGuard Storage Management Suite (HP SG SMS)
family of products.

You are correct in assuming that you do not need to install Oracle CRS as part
of your target stack. If you were to deploy Oracle RAC (releases 10g and
later), then at that time you would need to install CRS.

It is highly recommended that you use Oracle Disk Manager (ODM) to
significantly improve performance of your DB on the CFS (ODM is included for
free) - for a detailed white paper on improving single-instance Oracle on ODM
performance, and how to enable it, please see here -
http://docs.hp.com/en/10404/ODM_SingleinstanceOracle.pdf.

Additional HP SG SMS documents can be located here - http://docs.hp.com -> High
Availability -> SG SMS. A shortcut is
http://docs.hp.com/en/ha.html#HP%20Serviceguard%20Storage%20Management%20Suite.

In addition, the base ServiceGuard docs can be of help, particularly if you are
transitioning from JFS/LVM to CFS/CVM - please see Chapter G in the "Managing
ServiceGuard 15th edition" doc off http://docs.hp.com -> High Availability ->
ServiceGuard - shortcut is http://docs.hp.com/en/B3936-90135/B3936-90135.pdf.

I hope this helps! Thanks! Regards!
________________________________

Please let me know if you prefer to not receive email from me.

Keith Fahrenfort
Solutions Architect - Hewlett Packard
Solution Design Services for Oracle
Shared Solutions Architecture
HP Americas Solution Architecture
Call 1.800.424.0993 option2 or email ssa@xxxxxx to reach the Solution Design
Team
http://www.hp.com/go/oracle
For HP's privacy policy and contact information, please see
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/privacy.html