RE: Thoughts on crs installation on HP-UX

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Oracle-L Freelists'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:31:20 -0500

Maureen:

Related to this thread only in thinking about why you might want crs in
addition to the other stuff without RAC being used.

Is it possible they are preparing for clusteraware ASM so that even though
you don't have RAC databases all the databases can share the underlying
storage? (That is a question, not a recommendation pro or con.)

Even without deploying multiple instances, it may be the case that there is
some reason to install clusteraware Oracle RDBMS software. For that to link
correctly you need the true crs software rather than the standins provided
for non-RAC non-crs installations. That might include a willingness to pay
part of the "RAC TAX" to make a future move to multiple instances a smaller
event. (Again, an observation, not a recommendation.)

I think all y'all (including your OS system admin, storage administrators,
and operations manager) need to have a joint meeting to figure out what your
strategy is overall and then figure out what component pieces of technology
are to support that and try them out in your (ahem) test cluster
configuration. Operational hilarity often results unless the whole team is
aware of what Oracle's crs does and does not do.

I'm probably confused as to your incumbent technology stack and what you are
trying to accomplish. One thing about crs is that if you're going to use it,
then it works best to have that be the first oracle home you install on a
machine, immediately after you run through the CRS and RAC "readiness"
requirements, like user equivalence and seamless ssh without password stuff
(and all the other things) amongst the hosts involved. I think there is
broad agreement that it should get its own oracle home, but I'm willing to
hear otherwise.

Good luck,

mwf