RE: The Oracle 9.2.0.4 Optimizer - are there problems with it?

Dennis,

Anything is possible.  All I'm going by is what the users are telling =
me. =20
They swear that query X ran in 10 minutes 2 weeks ago and now runs in=20
30+.  They *swear* that they haven't done anything to change the query =
in
question so it *must* be a database issue. (Anyone else ever heard that
one before?)

But, since I'm not involved in the query development / testing process, =
can't be sure about anything and just have to take them at least=20
partially on their word.

As I mentioned previously, I'm not horribly concerned about what I've =
seen=20
to date as each of the queries they've brought to my attention has been=20
horribly inefficient as it is and in serious need of some attention - =
not
all of the ad-hoc query developers have a good understanding of the=20
inter-relationships between the various tables and the query performance
sometimes suffers because of it.

It was a shout in the dark just seeing if anybody was aware of any known
deficiencies in the Optimizer in 9.2.0.4.  At least that way, I can talk =

to management (who hear of the complaints) and say that I've done my=20
research via Metalink and a community of professional peers, etc.

We update our statistics regularly and I'm more than happy to examine =
the=20
small percentage of queries as they come in and tune them as they =
arrive.

Thanks to all who have commented to date and thanks in advance for any =
other
comments that may be yet to come!

Steve