Re: Testing an rman backup

  • From: "Syed Jaffar Hussain" <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: peter.schauss@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:01:33 +0300

How about doing the manual cloning on the primary host using the hot backup
copies?

In case of disaster where it need the database to be built from scratch, it
is a simple procedure as long as you have valid backups of datafiles,
controlfiles,spfile and etc.

You can use the following to check the backup validity.

RESTORE DATABASE PREVIEW;
RESTORE TABLESPACE users PREVIEW;
RESTORE DATAFILE 3 PREVIEW;
RESTORE ARCHIVELOG FROM LOGSEQ 200 PREVIEW;
RESTORE ARCHIVELOG FROM TIME 'SYSDATE-7' PREVIEW;
RESTORE ARCHIVELOG FROM SCN 234546 PREVIEW;
RESTORE... PREVIEW output is in the same format as the output of the LIST
command.

On 6/8/07, Schauss, Peter <peter.schauss@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Environment: Oracle 10.2.0.2.0 HP-UX B 11.23

I am performing hot backups with rman in nocatalog mode. I would like to
test restore procedures on the same node without destroying the existing
database.  Ideally, this should restore the database as a new instance
with data files in different directories.  I know that I can do this
with the duplicate command, but that command requires rman to connect to
the source database.  Connecting to the source database, in my opinion,
invalidates the test since I need assurance that I can recreate the
database from scratch using only the rman backup files, the spfile, and
the backup of the control file.

At this point I do not have the luxury of a clean server on which to run
this test, but I do have sufficient disk space for a second copy of the
instance.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss

Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle ACE
8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."